Daily attendance is critical to academic success. Students are expected to attend school and all classes daily. Parents must notify the school each day their child is absent by calling the school office by 8 a.m. at 363-7200.
Students are required by state law to attend school daily unless absent due to:
- Religious Holiday
- Death in immediate family
- Illness in the family (the absence under this condition shall not apply to children under fourteen years of age)
- Quarantine of the home
- Necessary work at home due to absence or incapacity of parent(s)/guardian(s)
- Observation or celebration of a recognized religious holiday
- Absence during the school day for professional appointments, or
- Other reason approved by the principal
Parents must notify the school each day their child is absent.
On the day that the student returns to school, he/she must present a parental note that contains a telephone number where the parent can be contacted in order for the absence to be excused.
Unexcused or excessive absences adversely affect the student's learning. Students with excessive absences, whether excused or unexcused, subject themselves and their parents to criminal prosecution for their failure to comply with the state's compulsory education law.
- Parents of students who are (or expect to be) absent more than three consecutive days need to contact their child's teacher to request make-up work
- Excessive Absence and Denial of Credit
- According to State requirements, 120 class hours constitute one course. The use of excessive absence to deny credit for a course is at the discretion of the teacher. The principal reserves the right to review all cases.
- Students are expected to report to school by 7:30 a.m. and to class prior to the ringing of the tardy bell at 7:40 a.m.
- Students arriving to school after 2nd bell must enter the building using the Dater HIgh School Main Entrance and report to the main office to sign in.
- "Situation X" hall sweeps are held regularly to deter students from being late to class. Students tardy or in the halls without permission during a Situation X will receive the consequence of a Friday School (2:15-3:45 p.m.).
- Students requesting an early dismissal must present a note from a parent or guardian to the attendance office prior to the start of school at 7:40 a.m.
- This note must contain a telephone number where a parent/guardian can be contacted. An "Early Excuse" will be issued upon parental verification.
- Students cannot be released without a note and parental verification.
- Students will only be released to a parent/guardian or emergency contact listed in the school records.
Illness During the School Day
- Students becoming ill during the school day should report to Nurse Holly or the Health Center
- Students are not to use their cell phones to contact a parent when they are ill